What legal responsibilities do business owners have with waste disposal?

Posted on


Your Waste, Your Responsibility. The majority of waste businesses produce is classed as ‘controlled waste – this includes commercial, industrial and household waste.

Your duty of care ensures that the waste your business produces is stored, transported and disposed of without harming the environment. Any waste that comes from a commercial activity is business waste, even if you work from home. Meaning any rubbish from your home ‘office’ is classed as business waste.

As a business, you have certain responsibilities when it comes to waste, these include:

• Keeping it to a minimum by doing everything you can to prevent, reuse, recycle and recover
• Sort and store business waste safely and securely
• Complete a waste transfer note for each load that leaves your premises
• Check if your waste carrier is registered to dispose of waste
• Not allow the carrier to dispose of your waste illegally

If your business deals with hazardous waste, you have extra responsibilities to abide by.

One of the biggest recycling issues we often come across is businesses not knowing how to handle their hazardous waste.

You must ensure hazardous waste produced or handled by your business causes no harm or damage. Under the Hazardous Waste (England and Wales) Regulation 2005, businesses need to ensure they dispose of their waste safely. It is the responsibility of the business to keep an audit trail of their waste and hiring the right licenced service for their needs.

Waste is generally considered hazardous if it (or the material or substance it contains) are harmful to humans or the environment.

We’ve a full blog on how to handle your hazardous waste, click here to read.

It’s the law that all commercial waste has to achieve some degree of recycling prior to disposal into landfill. As an independent company, we provide any size organisation with their own bespoke recycling services that reduce costs and increase recycling efficiency.

Information from gov.uk